Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Something white is on the ground???



It has been such a busy few weeks & though we are both pretty tuckered out, we are both incredibly relieved by the amount of tasks completed after this rush! Nonetheless, it is not quite time for rest. Next week will begin with a trip to Missoula to this great store we found to purchase just about anything for this (and many other) lifestyles! Until then, I will be getting settled in the new place with the dogs. Which brings us to....drum roll....so far this is pretty awesome! Last night a moose stood watching us from about 200 feet away. A beautiful female posed so elegantly as the snow gently fell around her. Of course, we both were quite disappointed in me for not having the camera handy! But I swear they hide when I bring the it! Well, they won't hide for long. Thanks to a number of people, circumstances, situations, and opportunities - we now get to live on their turf! It's pretty exciting for a couple of folks like us. Truth is, in the summer - we spend probably around 90% of our time together in the woods/mountains/jeep/tent. It's probably safe to call it an addiction. An addiction to the peace, solace and beauty you can find & experience only when you are apart from the drama & dysfunction that seems to be so prevalent in the world around us. But most of all, just to be hand in hand with nature is life changing in itself. Ahh. Yes, we love camping. In fact, last year when November arrived, we had such a great summer we decided to travel west to the coast. Now that was camping! But that's a whole other story for another time. What I am trying to say now is this. Week 1 in the camper has been quite fantastic. I was especially excited to get rid of satellite TV. Brandon on the other hand - was dreading it. After a few nights though I think we both can see how much of a distraction it was! The TV was ALWAYS on when we were in the house! I'll admit - I might miss American Pickers and maybe even (just between me and you) a little Dr. Phil but wow - my soul delights in the stillness and calmness that surrounds us now. On the other hand, with the generator running you can actually watch movies in here! The enormous TV in the entertainment portion of the camper with a movie playing on it makes this place feel like a real home! 

For a couple mornings we have been teased with light dustings of something white all over the place. This morning, all toasty in bed I wake to the most beautiful of pines arched so proudly out our windows. I cannot help but be incredibly thankful (maybe even a little excited) about how breath taking nature can be. I also take extra delight in how toasty I am! Perhaps it's these footed pajama's which are now known as the  "Blue Suit".  I'm not much for having stuff on my feet but in this situation I make the sacrifice of comfort for...well comfort! I do wish they had a butt flap - very difficult to go #1 outside in during a cold night. But they are WoNderFul! I digress, this place has SO far stayed so cozy and toasty!! The thermostat is usually set on 65 at night which is plenty warm with temps down in the teens! I think it could be turned down even lower and still be comfortable. 

Cooked the first meal last night here.   The stove top worked wonderfully. On the other hand - there is a very odd odor wreaking of sulfur or "rotten eggs"  that is coming from the water. It was filled upon pick up and in the owners manual I read that sometimes this is common when water sets in there for too long. Not sure where to go from there with that, feedback is definitely welcome!

Anyway, so yes. Snow, as they call it, has arrived. And we were ready just in time. The good news is, Brandon's brother Garrett and his wife Trina are going to let us borrow their ATV for the winter. I don't know if they have any idea how much this means to us! After looking into how pricey plows for pick ups are we abruptly realized that we wouldn't be able to afford one. Huge dilemma on that so this is such a HUGE help! SO the plow will be in later this week & then I become plow girl. I have my warm clothes ready & am stoked about my duty. Much better then shoveling off a  concrete driveway in town. This is more my flavor. If you knew where I grew up - you would understand why.

So, so far life as a boondocker is spectacular. I now understand what all the people who shared their experiences via blogs online were talking about. Winter camping might be one of the coolest things we've ever done. I am sure we will run into road blocks and have some challenges but so far so good. 

Next week we will upgrade to being able to #1 in the actual camper toilet which I am pretty stoked about, and we are considering still where we will get water. For now, showers in the rental until the end of the month. 

That is about all we've been up to. Late night guitar sessions, an occasional movie, moving everything over, cleaning the old rental and just getting settled in! Life is so good. I will try to get more pictures up over the next few days!

Toodles for now my friends & take care!


1 comment: