Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Preparations!


It's a lovely Saturday morning and I know the incredibly hot and long shower I just took will be one of the last I take for awhile here in a few weeks. That may be one of the things I am not as excited about but I know there is always the laundry mat in case of emergency need for long, hot shower. A few quarters get ya 10 minutes - I think it may be a weekly treat when Brandon is gone to work :)


This has been a really good & productive week. VERY busy nonetheless. After waiting for summer...well...all summer it finally arrived at the end of September. Unlike last year, this time we have enjoyed a beautiful array of mountain fall colors. The Aspens are a gorgeous yellow & golden. The breeze is warm fluttering the leaves and creating a mystic & dreamy effect as we walk down the trails near our home. The creeks and rivers are low, crystal clear, and bouncing off amazing reflections. The elk are in rut - bugling their hearts out in search for their mate for the minute. I could go on and on about all of the changes that are happening as this environment prepares for the upcoming winter. You get the gist of it. It's pretty neat.


Anywho, as are we preparing for the changes. The old timers tell us it's going to be a harsh winter. Not necessarily cold but a lot of snow. We actually are excited to hear about that. The past couple of years haven't given us the powder we so enjoy playing on during involvement of winter sports. So yes! Good snowboarding right out our back door. Also, Basin will be learning to Skijor this winter. His harness has arrived and now it's just a matter of momma reading the book Ski Spot Run before his training can begin.


Thanks to Dawn & Ross we now have an old beater pick up truck with a flat bed to borrow while  doing  work out on the property. Good for taking trash in, moving trees & brush, plowing, etc. And thanks to Rich, Tracy and Karen for helping us clean up some dead trees this week! It was quite an enjoyable day (mainly enjoying the perfect weather and good company) and followed up with a very yummy dinner at our local favorite restaurant Silver Mill where John whips up the BEST piles of deliciousness. Good times.


I am still packing the house up and this week we will be traveling to Missoula to pick up the camper. We've decided to park it at the house for a week or so first - move the bulk of our "non breakable" items into it, see what fits and what doesn't, then take it out to where it will be skirted and propped for the next year. We are VERY excited about picking it up this week. Which will also include a trip to Lowes to buy whatever it is we think we need to winterize this thing. Any suggestions? We are thinking things along the lines of: some sort of roofing material to build a little roof over the front door & slide out, kennels for the dogs, a water holding tank to move water in, throw rugs, sealant for the roof, a generator, energy efficient bulbs, plastic for the windows, a small storage shed (to avoid paying storage fees), etc.


The question of the day really revolves around defecation. Lest I remind you we will not have power, a well, nor a septic. So we think we have the power and water secured - (any ideas welcome) but the septic. I know they make holding tanks but that seems like such a stinky job (har har - pun was intended) but online I found "wag bags" and other biodegradable bags. They are large and fit right in the toilet. For extra odor protection you throw in some Pooh Powder (real name - got a giggle or two out of me). Others suggested an outhouse. I priced porta-potties. So we are leaning toward these wag bags - completely legal to throw out in any garbage. As long as our guests don't mind! LOL "Welcome to paradise, here's your pooh bag please use it wisely" Haa!!


Regardless of all of that, and I think I have been long winded enough. What a wonderful week. We FINALLY were able to get out for a couple of hours yesterday for a dirt bike and fall picture tour ride. I think it was much needed as well as was a perfect way to possibly end a lovely Indian Summer.


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment