Monday, October 18, 2010

Amidst The Transformation

Wow this has been a busy & intense week! We've realized now that we could've never prepared for this move in time without help! The past 5 or 6 days have been a whirlwind. The storage shed from lowes is now fully constructed with a ply wood floor. It seems to be very stable and will be perfect for what we'll use it for.(a nightmare to assemble though). A mass quantity delivery of mothballs arrived (thanks mom!)- I have yet to spread them under the trailer but am in high hopes these will help with any rodent problems we encounter. 

The boys got off work & began immediately on moving the camper & skirting it. These guys are real troopers. After working an 11 hour nightshift they drove 3 and a half hours across the state to work on this thing until dark. Then everyday after for the rest of the week they were plugging away on it. They've built a great skirt with plywood and staples holding the insulation along the inside walls. We've also put down plastic underneath the whole thing to hopefully help with keeping moisture from seeping from the earth into the camper. It also serves as hopefully a spot for mass mothballs to last awhile.

We could not have done this without Rich. He's been our fuel & brains behind the operation and without him, simply put, we could not have done this! He was over here everyday off to help construct this thing. We are so grateful for him & all he has done! SOOO grateful! THANKS RICH!!!

After the skirting was up we tried the first of two methods to keep the skirting tight to the camper to prevent rain and snow from getting in there. The first was duct tape. Didn't work. Peeled off. Didn't stick. So now we are using the caulking method. which includes leaving a line of caulk along any of the spots that have a small gap.  Working well so far.

Also put plastic over the windows inside. Will report on how well that works. I am considering having some small wool blankets on hand for added insulation if necessary.

Also, thanks to Rich we were able to take most of our large items over to the new pad. So now all that is left is, finishing packing the house, cleaning it, and finding a water holding tank that won't freeze, propane tank, and a john.

In addition to everything that is going on here in Montana, this week I received a phone call from my mother informing me that my father has cancer.  I never quite knew how I would deal with news like this if it ever came.  In my worst nightmares I imagined it. Never once did I suspect my father had cancer. I am still in shock & have been for 3 days now. I know I must keep my head in the game, stay focused, and have hope. Still though, I feel like a cloud is following me. I'm looking out but it's all a blur. I am beyond afraid inside & though my hope & faith are strong, I feel somewhat detached from my surroundings, my mind is always on him. I stay as calm as possible & continue to believe in the things that we cannot see. So if anyone is reading this & believes in the things that we cannot see, please say a prayer for my daddy.

1 comment:

  1. Em, in our old house (even though we have new windows) I put blankets up over the windows in the winter. I have found that either wool blankets or old quilts work great for this! I bet you could find some crib size quilts pretty cheap at a thrift store if you are near any. The thrift store in Baraboo has them all the time for $2-$3 each. They are nice because you can just flip the bottom up to let light in when needed. We have a big wool one over two windows in Kait's room and a small wool throw over the window in Liv's room. I use two quilts in my room. I didn't want to ruin the quilt by putting nails through it so I put two nails in the window frame and strung a string between them. I hung the quilt over the string and pinned it into place with some saftey pins. Works well! My kids always tore at the plastic on the windows so this is a much better solution for us.

    We used to use quilts to block off the upstairs before we had kids. We would move downstairs in the winter and used a couple heavy quilts to block the heat downstairs. That worked so well. It was a 20 degree difference between upstairs and down at any given time.

    Walmart sells some insulation backed curtains too. In the hardware department but I bet you could find them elsewhere.

    Good luck!.

    ReplyDelete